April 14, 2013

Pohela Boishak

Today is the Bengali New Year or "Pohela Boishak". For every Bengali, Pohela Boishakh is an occasion without any equal. It is a colorful festival that not only celebrates the new year but a cultural history of a thousand years. 

Every year on the occasion of Pohela Boishakh my family organizes a big gathering to welcome the new year. All the ladies drape their traditional red and white saree and everyone rejoices with mouth-watering traditional Bengali dishes, colorful fun activities and lots of singing and dancing. A few photos from last year's celebrations.

4 comments:

  1. I always love learning about people's culture. The food looks good and very interesting. I'm assuming they are desserts of some kind?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was meant to leave a comment on this post last night, but I think Blogger had some server issues.

    I'm loving the posts that you write, and how you share your culture and the culture of New York in them. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete