Cupcakes are considered a "special treat" around our home, maybe because they are only baked on birthdays. My siblings always get excited for cupcakes so to surprise them I whipped up a batch of these beauties last night. Here's the recipe if you would like to make some :
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 medium sized eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup 1% low-fat buttermilk
- 1 1/4 ounces dark chocolate, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup, and level with a knife. Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt; stir with a whisk.
- Place sugar and butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well combined (about 3 minutes). Add eggs and vanilla extract, beating well. Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Fold in chocolate. Spoon batter into 12 cups lined with cupcake liners. Bake at 350° for 18 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly in the center or until wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from pan; cool completely on a wire rack. Frost the cupcakes with your favorite frosting before serving. I used a store bought butter cream frosting.