April 29, 2013

Spend less, Live well


I live in one of the most expensive cities in the world. And to tell you the truth it is not that difficult to save and score some good deals. It is not a secret that cost of living in NYC is high but being a little penny-wise surely helps. And I can thank my mom and dad for being great money role models. I was raised by parents who had grown up in a third world country post a liberation war. The values they instilled in me and my siblings were those of living within our means.

For me living large on less is a matter of choice more than anything. I make my choices by thinking about what matters the most to me and why I want what I want. I believe anyone can live large on less. It may not mean the same for everyone but it surely is possible for everyone.

5 comments:

  1. I try to be as frugal as possible. Lately, I haven't been as smart with my spending, but to be fair it's mostly just been to feed myself. Anyway, I do need to get better, and your post about that reinstilled that in me.

    Also, I wish I had fish again--those beautifully vibrant pictures made me realize that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just have to say, I love your fish photos. Also, I have totally been living more frugally lately (thanks to not being employed), and it is HARD! Any tips would be appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fish photos are amazing! I look forward to reading your frugal living tips! A friend of mine actually requested I do a post on what to do in the city (in my case, Toronto) when you're broke. I'm having fun coming up with creative answers for her!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How appropriate for me. I just replied to your discussion board on 20sb and in it, I told you I'm writing an awful lot about my financial life lately. My boyfriend and I are trying to eventually find a place and move in with some friends to save money. He found some really nice vintage (1950s) couches on Craigslist that are actually really clean and perfect and some other stuff on there that people literally just want to give away to save themselves the hassle of selling. That, and we're stocked up on food to save having to go out to eat so often. It's hard, but we're doing it well so far. It's all about priorities. Good luck!

    And check out my blog when you get the chance. :)
    http://coffeeringsandsouthernthings.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely bright photos. When I worked in NYC I was always on the lookout for cheap/affordable & healthy lunches. It wasn't easy, but it was possible & an adventure at times. Loving the frugal inspiration posts!

    ReplyDelete